Anderson County Clerk Office – End of the Year

As we approach the end of 2015, I thought it would be a good idea to write an article about topics that are very important during this time of year.

“Party Changes”
We have experienced a higher than normal volume of registered voters asking questions about changing Parties. Anyone wishing to change their party in order to vote in the May 17th Primary must do so by December 31st according to State Law. Our Office will be CLOSED on December 31st. We will accept postmarks dated as of December 31st. All changes can be done at our office or online @ and then select register to vote. Complete the fillable form, print and mail to: Anderson County Clerk- 100 South Main Street -Lawrenceburg, KY 40342. Anyone just moving to Anderson County needs to follow the same steps or you can visit the Circuit Clerk’s (Drivers License) Office and complete a new Voter Registration Card and change your driver’s license at the same time.

“Republican Presidential Caucus”
We have been receiving several calls regarding the Republican Presidential Caucus. Our office has no official roll regarding the Caucus.  The rules are set by the State Party. It is scheduled for Saturday, March 5th from 10:00 to 4:00 at the Anderson County High School-Emma B. Ward Gymnasium. Only Registered Republican Voters can participate. Party changes must be done by December 31st. For more information call the Republican Party of Kentucky at 502-875-5130 or the Anderson County Republican Party at 502-418-4460.

“Buying and Selling a Vehicle at the end of the Year!”
If you have sold or intend to sell a vehicle before the end of the year, be sure that the buyer transfers the vehicle at the County Clerk’s Office by December 31st.  Just signing the title and having it notarized will not remove the vehicle or the tax obligation from your name.  Whomever’s name is recorded in the AVIS System (State Transportation System) on January 1st of that year is responsible for the property tax on that vehicle for that entire year.  If you buy a vehicle from an individual this year, you will pay usage (sales) tax at the time of transfer.  If you buy a vehicle from a dealer, you will most likely pay the usage tax (sales) to them and they will pay our office when they submit the paper work for transfer.  The Department of Revenue will enter the 2016 tax rates into the AVIS System on January 1st.  Normally the owner of the vehicle will pay that amount in their birth month or upon renewing their vehicle license (sticker).  However, you can pay property tax before your renewal date.  Some vehicle owners use their tax return and pay property tax early in the year and renew their vehicles registration when it comes due. Renewal notices are mailed by the Revenue Department 45 days before the expiration date.  January Tax Bills will be later due to assessments not being entered until January 1st.

“Junking a Vehicle”
If you have sold or plan to sell a vehicle for scrap, you must bring the title and license plate to our office and pay $ 3.00 to “Junk” the vehicle in the State System which will remove that vehicle from your name.  All taxes must be paid on that vehicle before this can take place.  This must be done before the end of the year to avoid 2016 taxes.  Just selling a vehicle for scrap does not remove your obligations.

“Buying a Vehicle from an out of Town Dealer”
Kentucky Law states that the transfer of a vehicle can be done in the County of either the BUYER or the Seller.  This gives you the right to request for your paperwork to be sent to the Anderson County Clerk’s Office.  This allows 3% of the total sales tax collected to remain in Anderson County.  If the transfer is done in the Dealers County, then that same 3% goes to that County instead of OURS.  Where do you want your money to end up?

Please feel free to contact our office regarding questions about these topics as well as any others at (502)839-3041.  Our website address is: Links to the Department of Revenue, Department of Transportation and State Board of Elections are there for your convenience.  All necessary forms are on those sites.  Our office will be CLOSED on December 24th and 25th for the Christmas Holiday and on December 31st and January 1st for the New Year’s Holiday. Our office will be open all day on Wednesday, December 30th. Please have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year’s Holiday!

anderson_clerkWritten by Jason Denny, Anderson County Clerk

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrPin on PinterestEmail this to someone
Posted in Business & Government.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.