A Place to Park Your Horse

Back when Lawrenceburg was established, the means of transportation consisted mostly of horse drawn wagons. As people came into town to shop, eat or spend time at the opera houses, the horses were cared for by the livery stables in town. Similar to a parking lot and service station for horses, these liveries supplied hay, grain, coal and wood as well as offering short and long term care for the horses. Here in Lawrenceburg, four liveries were located in the downtown district.

The first livery was built in 1830 and stood on the corner lot of Main and East Court Street where Cinnamon’s Flowers Shop and Dude’s currently is. In 1872, the lot was divided up and the Christian Church was built on the corner leaving the livery just behind it. In 1887, W. H. Searcy owned and operated the livery, and in 1889, the first telephone in Lawrenceburg was installed there. The livery was sold around 1900 and became the Harrison Livery.

The largest livery on Main Street was known as the Well and Hancock Livery. Located in the current location of the Main Street Drive Thru Storage building, this livery served many of the hotels’ guests that came into town. As seen in the photos, this stable like building was very large to accommodate the many horses and carriages. In 1897, the livery was purchased by W.B. Morgan, who became the first fire chief of Lawrenceburg. The hook and ladder wagon and a team of horses were placed in readiness at his livery, making it the first fire house in Lawrenceburg.

In the early 1900’s J.D. Bond Livery was built on Woodford Street behind the City hall and the Dedman Livery was built on East Court Street in the location where the Court Side Offices are across from the Courthouse. Seen in the photo is a advertisement from the local newspaper for the Dedman’s livery.

As the automobile became popular in the early 1900’s, these stables were no longer needed. By the early 1920’s, the liveries were gone with two of them replaced with businesses that accommodated the automobile instead of the horses and carriages. The Harrison Livery became the Texaco Gas Station and the Morgan Livery became the Chevrolet dealer which will soon become a new parking lot.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on TumblrPin on PinterestEmail this to someone
Posted in History & Heritage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.